What are Therapeutic Use Exemptions (TUEs)?

Athletes, like anyone else, may have illnesses or conditions that require them to take particular medications. If the substances they are required to take for their treatment are on the WADA List of Prohibited Substances, they may ask for a Therapeutic Use Exemption giving them authorization to take the medicine.

Who needs them?

All athletes participating in international competitions need to obtain a TUE from the ISU. National level athletes should contact their National Anti-Doping Agency for information about the requirements for them.

What are the procedures?

The TUE application form may be found on the ISU website. An application form should be filled in, signed and sent to the ISU with supporting documentation. Applications may also be made on ADAMS for those skaters who have an ADAMS account. Applications made to the ISU are reviewed by the ISU TUE Committee. Skaters, their Member Federation or their NADO may be contacted for further information to support the application.
Approval is either given via ADAMS or is sent to the skater’s Member in the form of a certificate. Applications should be made at least 30 days before approval is needed (for example, before an Event).

Declaring Medications on Doping Control Forms

If skaters are tested in or out of competition they should always declare any medications they are taking on the Doping Control Form.